Thursday, April 21, 2005

On Church Culture

This Sunday I will get to participate in "student hospitality lunches" here at Christ Church. Trinity Reformed Church is also involved, of course. And Collegiate Reformed Fellowship (CRF) plans the whole thing.

It struck me, why don't all churches do this, even if they are not in college towns. The connection between the youth and the adults of most churches is a little odd at best. Youth are delt with as a gaggle, rather than as individuals. They are hurded to Christian rock concerts or rallies where they are given pep talks. But why not have them meet a wide variety of adults in the church that are not their parents? What else could open up a young persons mind than to meet adults all serving the Lord in a variety of different lay occupations? What else could build a warmness of feeling between the generations?

Of course, if a town is not a college town, young people will likely be living at home, in which case whole families can simply invite over whole families. I guess the point is that parents need to be youth pastors, reaching out to the youth of other families in the church. That's the lesson I've learned from generous people in Moscow.

I wonder, what are the other distinctive aspects of our church's culture here in Moscow that you've thought of that you would like to export?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I suppose our Christian American culture doesn't consider children as part of the covenant. Frequently they are unbaptized, and denied communion. No wonder teens are considered something of an 'other' species to be dealt with.

And you don't know me. I'm a reformed gal in Illinois. I'm engaged to a member of Christ Church, though he's going to be joining Cornerstone Reformed Church soon.

Anonymous said...

Hi Rita. So you're engaged to Jake J.! I heard that you guys are comming out for the Trinity Festival this August. Well, have a great summer and we'll see you then!